Monday, July 4, 2011

Bound for Lamy

Sleeping on a train is tough. I got up this morning after a long night of being routinely woken up by the sharp jumping and jostling of the train car, frightened that we would derail. One thing that i did not realize about Amtrak is that they still pair travelers together for meals. So, last night, we had dinner with a very old and somewhat ornery man named Stanley who had been a professor of theater at a city college in Laredo, Texas. When I told him that I was studying playwiting, all he wanted to know was if I had a role for him. Stage time is a bit thin for octogenarians. This morning, Brian and I had breakfast with an older couple from the east coast, and they continually reminded us that there are actually people out there who believe in Sarah Palin. They also commented on each and every industrial complex we passed. Right now, we are in New Mexico a few miles outside of Albuquerque. Our mid afternoon ride from Lamy to Santa Fe looms, and I'm a little worried about the desert heat. Looking out the train window, all I can see are red, orange mesas, acres of dust, and lines of barbed wire fencing. I guess this is the desert.



No comments:

Post a Comment